COMMITTEE ON ACADEMIC ADVISING
AMMON COLLEGE OF LIBERAL ARTS AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
Elizabeth Brewer (English) 24 (1)
SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
SCHOOL OF EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL STUDIES
Allison Seifert Gonzalez (Physical Education & Human Performance) 25 (0)
SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING, SCIENCE, AND TECHNOLOGY
Parul Khurana (Biology) 25 (0)
Steven Block (Criminology & Criminal Justice) 25 (0)
Gena Givens (Criminology and Criminal Justice) 24 (5)
Eric Leonidas (English) 25 (0)
Viktoria Savatorova (Mathematical Sciences) 24 (1)
PROFESSIONAL ADVISORS (5)
Alison Audet (Undergraduate Advising) 24 (1)
Christina Higham 25 (1)
Monica Rivera 25 (0)
Lauren Veronneau (Undergraduate Advising) 24 (1)
Elizabeth Wright (Undergraduate Advising) 24 (1)
EX OFFICIO AND NON-VOTING
Director of Academic Center for Student Athletes (or designee) â€“ Inez Vera
Director of FYE Program (or designee) â€“ Brianna Kirk
Director of Undergraduate Admissions (or designee) â€“ Larry Hall
Director of Disability Services (or designee) â€“ Surbhi Patel
Director of Undergraduate Advising â€“ Adina Elfant
[ MISSION ]
The Committee on Academic Advising serves as a collective forum for the review of the University’s undergraduate advising systems and the generation of new ideas. The committee serves to build partnerships between faculty and administrative offices as it relates to advising. The committee monitors and examines undergraduate advising at the University and provides recommendations for changes and improvements. The committee meets the last Thursday of every month from 12:15pm to 1:30 pm.
[ BY LAWS ]
Committee membership will be composed as follows:
- Eight teaching faculty elected by the faculty, one from each academic school and four at-large members.
- Ex Officio and voting members including:
- Five representatives elected from within the Division of Undergraduate Advising (DUA)
- One student member to be appointed by the Student Government Association.
- Ex Officio and non-voting members including:
- The Director of the Academic Center for Student Athletes or designee
- The Director of the FYE program or designee
- The Director of Admissions or designee
- The Director of Disability Services or designee
- The Director of Undergraduate Advising
- Elected members of the committee will serve two-year terms and may serve up to three consecutive terms.
- Members from the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, the School of Business, two at-large members, and three members from the DUA will be elected during the Spring in even numbered years.
- The members from the School of Education and Professional Studies, the School of Engineering, Science, and Technology, two at-large members, and two members from the DUA will be elected during the Spring of odd numbered years.
- The winners of the school-specific positions shall be the candidates from those schools receiving the most votes.
- The winners of the at-large positions shall be the candidates receiving the most votes once the school-specific winners are removed from the pool.
- The student member will serve a one-year term.
Functions and Responsibilities
- Define academic advising and establish outcomes for advising
- Articulate the roles and expectations of the various advising systems on campus
- Department of Undergraduate Advising
- Academic departments (including faculty advisors)
- Supplemental systems
- Build partnerships to facilitate effective advising collaborations, both internal and external to the University
- Consult with other constituencies on campus when appropriate
- Monitor and examine undergraduate academic advising
- Make recommendations regarding academic advising
Election for Committee Chair
The election of the Chair shall be held at the first meeting. The Chair must be an elected member. The nominee with the highest votes shall become Chair. In the event of an initial tie vote: The Committee will discuss the motion again and vote a second time. If the vote results in a tie the second time, then the process will continue until a Chair is chosen.
Approved by the Faculty Senate: May 2, 2022